Since this project began, we have compiled hundreds of examples documenting how testimonials in the media and the arts are used by people from sexual or gender minorities, people living with HIV/AIDS, and people with an experience in sex work. This growing archive includes print and electronic documents (news reports, articles, books, reports, digital media etc.) as well as over 400 videos and films.
According to a quick, initial review of the archive, people who give public testimonials constitute a diverse group that that extends from artists, activists, and athletes to dominatrixes, immigrants, parents, soldiers, and youth. Their testimonials come in many forms – blogs, photos, conferences, podcasts, interviews, exhibitions, and more – and address a diversity of themes such as activism, love, education, criminalization, disclosure and coming out, politics, legislation, health, and sports.
We are currently developing a database to make this archive of testimonial examples available to the public and support special projects.
A portion of the archive can be consulted by appointment at the project office. Please contact us by phone or email. We also invite you to add to the database by sending us your own examples of testimonials by people who belong to minority groups based on their sexual or gender identities or experiences.
As featured in the project newsletters, the following are among the testimonial examples recently added to our archive:
- Kai Cheng Thom, “Sex Workers Are Fucking Revolutionary”
- Lani Ka’ahumanu, bisexual
- Ari De B, the committed body
- Babablwa Mtshawu, intersex
- Ron Rosenes: HIV and aging
- Marie, asexual
- Bella Simpson, trans woman
- Elle Stanger: sex worker and mom
- Denis-Martin Charbot: HIV
- Intersex (anonymous): In a Year
- Kate Iselin, Sex Work, Feminism and Empowerment
- Open letter from David Durian to his future sexual partners
- Interview with Libby Davies from the NDP
- Laura Lee, independent escort
- Homogene, a documentary series
- “Gains and Challenges”: A New HIV/AIDS Awareness Campaign
- Jessica Lee, sex worker
- Ellen Page’s moving coming out in a conference and on video
- “Lesbian Mile End” Zoé Cousineau testifies in La Presse
- Lana Wachowski comes out transgender at the Toronto International Film Festival
- An HIV-positive woman testifies on C’est ça la vie
- Coming-out of two women
- MONDO GUERRA at Project Runway
- A soccer player comes out of the closet!